The purpose of the C.A.R.R. Retention Program is to promote theimportance of a college education to student athletes. The program provides tutoring and educational assistance for all student athletes. It is very important for the student athletes to understand that the athletic coaches want to ensure that the student athletes are working toward a degree program or a vocational program to benefit their needs. The program focuses on the student athlete as a whole person so that they may realize their potential as an individual and succeed in college.
- To improve and develop study skills necessary for college level success: A Study Guide has been developed to assist and help the students to learn proper study skills.
- To bring about self-discovery and self-realization that is so often lacking in the educational process: A supervised study session is established and instructional aides visit the classrooms of athletes to help them understand how to determine main points from an instructor's lecture and improve their note-taking abilities.
- To discover student-athletes of high potential for certain career choices and opportunities: Encourage the student to experience the career and job placement centers. Various career and professional people speak with the athletes about future employment opportunities.
- To improve retention, graduation, and transfer statistics: Units attempted, units completed, and progress toward a degree or transfer program for each student-athlete is monitored.
- Develop a positive faculty attitude towards student-athletes: CARR staff visit with faculty, make phone calls to faculty and visit classrooms to express the concern between faculty and students.
- Develop a positive faculty attitude toward coaches: Coaches make direct contact with many instructors to show their concern about the athletes' performance in the classroom.
- Provide guest speakers to discuss specialized topics: Guest speakers have discussed the following-drug and alcohol abuse, sexually transmitted diseases, fashion coordination and personal hygiene.
- To introduce the concept of goals and objectives on an individual basis for each student-athlete: A time management program was presented, which is perfect for community college students.
The C.A.R.R. Program amplifies the mission of the college, which is "As a comprehensive Community College, San Jose City College is committed to offering courses and programs designed to provide students with the information, knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to function effectively and creatively in public, vocational, and personal life situations."