Avanzamos, a collaborative program between SJCC Metas: Title V and the Reading & Writing Center, trains peer tutors to work both in the classroom and at the Reading and Writing Center (RWC) with Avanzamos students, many who are first generation and/or Latino/a students. In addition to the peer tutoring component, Avanzamos provides lead contacts from the Avanzamos staff to encourage and motivate the student to succeed in addition to answering any questions the student might have about the campus community and services available.
To be successful in this program, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Make a commitment to attend the Reading and Writing Center (L103) at least once a week for a minimum of one hour.
- Check in with an Avanzamos Lead at least once a month.
- Attend at least one academic and one study skills workshop.
- Create an Education Plan with your counselor.
What Avanzamos can provide for you . . .
- A committed in class and out of class group of tutors that will support you in both your English and/or reading classes.
- Avanzamos Leads who will answer any questions/concerns you have throughout the semester.
- At least two Avanzamos Saturdays at the end of the semester in the RWC, exclusively opened for Avanzamos students.
- PRIORITY REGISTRATION! If you have completed the above requirements, you will be eligible for priority registration.