Welcome to SJCC Online Advising!
If you can’t make it to campus to see a counselor, online advising may be a great resource for you!
Online advising is designed to provide SJCC students with an online
resource to ask general counseling questions that pertain to reaching
their educational goals. Keep in mind that not all questions can be
answered thoroughly via this online service. Questions requiring
lengthy responses, specific evaluations, and those of a sensitive nature
will require an in-person appointment with a counselor. You can make
an appointment by calling (408) 288-3750.
Please also be aware that because of the nature of the Internet
and email technology, there can be no assurance of confidentiality when
using this online service; therefore, do not post your social security
number (SSN), phone number, or any other personal information.
Responses will be handled in a timely manner based on counselor
availability. Information provided is subject to the limitations of
current and available material.
Please read the following before using this service.
Online Counseling is appropriate for information such as:
- Clarification of college procedures and policies
- Certificate, degree, and transfer requirements
- Course prerequisites
- Course offerings and majors available
- Referrals to other services or programs
- Transferability of SJCC courses
- Obtaining links to major sheets
- General counseling questions
Online counseling is not appropriate for:
- Personal crisis counseling
- Reviewing/discussing transcripts
- Transcript evaluations
- Completing Education Plans
- Providing information regarding confidential records
BEFORE you post a question:
- View the Frequently Asked Questions for questions and answers most students have asked.
- Read the Counseling webpage -for additional counseling help.
- Search the Message Board – as it is 80% likely that your question has already been asked and answered.
- Note the different forums and choose what you feel is the best one for your question (we check all forums).
- Do not duplicate the same question in different forums (we check all the forums).
- You are welcome to join in an existing question thread and add a posting.
AFTER you post a question:
- Go back in 48 hours and check the reply. If you are not
satisfied with the answer or need more information post a follow up
question using the same thread.
- Other counselors and students will also post answers to your questions.
- Check back more than once in case a counselor has added any additional information.
To access to Online Advising you:
- Click on the SJCC OACC Forum
- Apply for membership
- Post your Question