Students attend San Jose City College for many reasons. The three most common goals are to:
- Earn a certificate
- Earn a degree
- Prepare for transfer to a four-year college or university
SJCC offers a wide range of occupational certificate programs. Faculty, in collaboration with industry professionals, have created certificate programs that prepare students for employment and/or self-employment.
Many of our certificates can become Associate of Science degrees with the addition of general education (GE) courses.
Certificates Currently Offered
SJCC offers two Associate degrees:
- Associate of Science (AS) — for employment and/or self-employment in vocational or trade careers
- Associate of Arts (AA) — primarily for students seeking transfer to a four-year university
Please note: Because the AA degree requirements are slightly different from the transfer requirements to four-year schools, you must plan their course of study carefully.
Both the AS and AA degrees require:
- general education courses
- courses in the major
- fulfillment of other graduation requirements
- at least 60 degree-applicable units.
Current Majors for the AS and AA Degrees
Whether you are pursuing an Associate degree or a certificate, we encourage you to meet with a counselor in order to have an educational plan completed that outlines all the degree or certificate requirements.
Students seeking transfer to a four-year college or university can transfer to:
- a school in the California State University (CSU) system
- the University of California (UC) system
- a private or independent (AICCU) school
- a school out of state
Because major requirements as well as GE requirements can differ between universities, it is important that students meet with a counselor to clarify which major and GE courses are required.