welcome to the psychology department
In the Psychology program at San Jose City College, you will examine the various subfields in psychology, gain knowledge of and appreciation for scientific inquiry, and develop insight into oneself while increasing knowledge of and sensitivity to others.
You will be introduced to the basic body of knowledge preparing you for further study in psychology.
Because the field of psychology is broad and diverse, psychologists work in a variety of settings. Most psychologists have a master's degree or a Ph.D. Usually, this requires two to six years of study after a bachelor's degree.
Psychologists may teach, conduct research, perform psychological testing, or do consultation in many settings, including hospitals and other medical facilities, social service agencies, businesses, industries, and universities.
Applied psychology integrates theory, research and practice to help people with decision-making, relationships, aging, sexuality, gender, death and dying, and other issues. Applied psychology helps to produce superior job performance in human services, education, and many other fields.
Psychology Student Learning Outcomes
- Describe and interpret various theoretical approaches in the field of Psychology.
- Analyze applications of psychological principles and practices.
- Select and employ relevant research techniques to obtain knowledge and solve problems.
- Identify and critique trends and issues in contemporary society related to the field of psychology.
- Evaluate psychology as a discipline in the social sciences.
- Humanities, Social Sciences, and Arts Division