Getting Help

​​​​​​​​​​​Getting Help If you have Experienced a Sexual Assault

1. Go to a safe location as soon as you are able.

2. Seek immediate medical attention if you are injured, or believe you may have been exposed to an STI/ STD or potential pregnancy.

  • a. Sexual Assault Response Team Santa Clara Valley Medical Center 751 Bascom Ave. Building H1, San Jose, CA 95128 Telephone: (408) 885-6466
  • YWCA Rape Crisis Center 375 S. Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112 24hour- hotline: (800)572-2782 or (650)493-7273
  • 3. If you are off-campus and experiencing an emergency situation, you can and should call local police by dialing 911 or (408)277-8911. You may also call the San Jose non-emergency line at (408)277-8900.
  • 4. Contact any of the following for immediate assistance:​


Title IX Coordinator, SJCC - Mr. Roland Montemayor 

Vice President of Student Affairs SC-216

Telephone: (408)288-3146
Regular business hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm

Title IX Coordinator, EVC Adela Esquivel-Swinson
​Vice President of Student Affairs SC-205
Telephone: (408)223-6749​
Regular business hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm​   

Campus Polic Telephone: (408) 270-6468 Regular business hours: Monday- Saturday 7:00am-11:00pm​

Campus Case Manger/ Victim Advocate​​

SJCC: Sophia De La Fuente
EVC: Kari Uy SC-121A, (408)531-6120

Campus Health Serv​​​ice​​

*this resource is confidential​​​​​

SJCC: (408) 288-3724 on SC-109
EVC: (408)270-6480 in SC-124

​Rape Crisis Centers

*these resources are confidential

YWCA Rape Crisis Center

S. Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112

Hours: Monday-Fridays 9:00am-5:00pm

24hour- hotline: (800)572-2782 or (650)493-7273

Community Solutions

24 hour Sexual Assault Crisis Line: (877)363-7238

5671 Santa Teresa Blvd. #202 &203, San Jose, CA 95123

Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm

Domestic Violence Shelter/ Agency

Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence

234 E. Gish Road, San Jose, CA 95112


24 hour hotline: (408)279-2962​



It is important to preserve physical evidence that may include tissue and fluid samples, evidence of violence, sheets, towels, clothing, etc. You should avoid washing, bathing, urinating, etc. until after being examined at the hospital, if possible. Because evidence of a sexual assault can deteriorate quickly, you may want to seek a medical exam as soon as possible.  Evidence collection should be completed with 120 hours of an assault, but fluids, hair samples, and DNA can sometimes be collected be collected for a long time thereafter.  Even if you have washed, evidence can often still be obtained.  After 120 hours, it may still be helpful to have medical attention, even if you are not trying to obtain evidence of an assault.  Sexual assault nurse examiners (SANE) are trained in the collection of forensic evidence, and can check for injuries and exposure to sexually transmitted diseases.  If you are still wearing any clothes worn during the assault, wear them to the hospital, but bring a change of clothes, as the hospital will keep the clothes you are wearing as evidence. If you have changed clothes, bring the ones you were wearing during the assault to the hospital in a clean paper bag (not plastic) or wrapped in a clean sheet.  Leave sheets/ towels at the scene of the assault.  Police will collect them.  Typically, police will be called to the hospital to take custody of the rape kit, but it is up to you whether you wish to speak with them or file a criminal complaint.​


​​You have options, and are encouraged to contact the Title IX Coordinator on your campus to discuss your options: 

  1. Do nothing until you are ready
  2. Pursue resolution by the college; and/or 
  3. Initiate criminal proceedings; and/or 
  4. Initiate a civil proceeding against the perpetrator.  

You may pursue whatever combination of options is best for you.  

If you wish to have an incident investigated and resolved by the college, students should contact the Title IX Coordinator and Vice Presidents of Student Affairs on their campus.  Employees should contact the District Title IX Coordinator and Vice Chancellor of Human Resources.  The District policies and procedures will be explained.  Those who wish the incident to be handled criminally should contact Campus Police or local police where the assault occurred.  A campus official is available to accompany students in making such reports, if desired.  Contact your campus Vice President of Student Affairs for more information. ​

SJCC Supporting Page
San Jose City College