Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Veterans Services

Welcome to the Veterans Resource Center

San José City College Veterans Resource Center (VRC)

The VRC is the liaison between you as veterans, your dependents, and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Our goal is to provide you, as a veteran student, with services and resources to assist you in achieving your educational goals.
In collaboration with various resources on campus and veterans community organizations and resources, we increase success by helping you to overcome academic, transfer, social, and personal challenges. The VRC provides a space to gather, socialize, and form relationships with other veterans. This space is a hub for the Veterans Programming efforts that include connecting you with the Veterans Student Association and accessing resources provided by the college and local veterans agencies. 
We provide a holistic approach to support services shown to increase veteran student success. That approach includes close collaboration with Financial Aid, Counseling, the Veterans Resource Center, the Veterans Student Association, and the Student Affairs Department.
If you want to read a detailed summary of the VRC, click here.

Steps to success

New Veteran students and/or their dependents who are eligible to receive educational benefits must complete the following steps: 

Complete & Submit an SJCC application online:


Apply Online for Veteran Eligibility:  

Veterans Eligibility

Meet with Sophia Partida, Certifying Official, to provide the following required documentation

  1. A copy of your DD-214 (DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  3. All unofficial academic transcripts from other colleges attended
  4. Meet with a Veterans Counselor to complete a comprehensive student education plan (The US Department of Veteran Affairs requires you select a major/objective) 
  5. Register for classes 

**You will only be paid for classes that are required for your major. If you decide to change your major/objective, please make an appointment with a Veterans Counselor and forward your updated comprehensive student education plan to the Certifying Official.

Meet with a Veterans Counselor to complete the comprehensive student education plan

** The US Department of Veteran Affairs requires you select a major/objective**

How to make an appointment to meet with a Veterans Counselor:

Complete all course work with a C grade or better

Repeated courses taken and completed at prior institutions will not be paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs regardless of receiving a Monthly Housing Allowance (MAH) while attending the institution.

Academic standing for student veterans is referenced in the San José City College catalog as follows:

"In compliance with the Code of Federal Regulations Section 21.4253 (d) (4) a veteran or eligible person receiving GI Bill® Educational Benefits and placed on academic probation for unsatisfactory progress shall have their benefits terminated if his or her grade point average remains below 2.0 at the end of two terms on probation. Benefits may be reinstated when the student’s progress is satisfactory (i.e. grade point)."

You must remain in good academic standing to be eligible for future educational benefits.

**If you have questions about the next steps, contact Kathy Araki, Program Assistant at 


Services offered

Testimonial Name

California Community Colleges Veterans Resource Centers

Watch Video


Veterans Contacts:


Robert N. Chang Student Center, Room SC-215



Robert N. Chang Student Center, Financial Aid Office, Room SC-103


Robert N. Chang Student Center, Room SC-216B