Veterans Resource Center
San José City College Veterans Resource Center (VRC)
The VRC is the liaison between you as a veterans, your dependents, and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Our goal is to provide you, as a veteran student, with services and resources to assist you as you embark on achieving your educational goals.In collaboration with various resources on campus, and veterans community organizations and resources, we increase success by helping you to overcome academic, transfer, social, and/or personal challenges. The VRC provides a space for you to gather, socialize, and form relationships with other veterans. This space is a hub for the Veterans Programming efforts that include connecting you with the Veterans Student Association and accessing resources provided by the college and local veterans agencies.
Steps to success
New Veteran students and/or their dependents who are eligible to receive educational benefits must complete the following steps:
Meet with Sophia Partida, School certifying Official, to provide the following required documents:
- A copy of your current DD214
- Certificate of Eligibility (aka C.O.E)
- All unofficial academic transcripts from other colleges attended
- Meet with a Veterans counselor to complete the 2-year comprehensive Ed. Plan (** The US Department of Veteran Affairs requires you select a major/objective**)
- Register for classes
**You will only be paid for classes that are required for your major. If you decide to change your major, please make an appointment with a VA counselor and forward your new educational plan to the Sophia.
Meet with a Veterans counselor to complete the 2-year comprehensive Ed. Plan
** The US Department of Veteran Affairs requires you select a major/objective**
Complete all course work with a C grade or better
Repeated courses taken and completed at prior institutions will not be paid by the VA regardless of receiving MAH (Monthly Housing Allowance) at the institution.
You must remain in good academic standing to be eligible for future educational benefits.
**If you have questions about the next steps, contact Kathy Araki, Program Assistant at Kathy.Araki@sjcc.edu
- Veteran-specific Orientation
- Technology center with four computers and a printer
- VA Veteran Work-Study Peer Mentor program (In-progress)
- Priority Registration
- Veterans Student Association
- Outreach Veterans Project Transportation Services
- Campus-wide Service Guidance:
- VA Health Clinics
- San Jose Veterans Center
- VA Palo Alto Hospital
- Veterans Supportive Agency
- The American Legion
- Make The Connection